mercredi 10 avril 2013

Thatcher: Bursting the myth

Bursting the myth
This morning I heard on the radio 4 the old nonsense about in 1979 there only being 2 million shareholders, but the reality was that everybody was a share holder in society in 1979 and she under sold things I (and you) owned to rich people who asset stripped them and sold the shares at a profit .imagine if i sold your car to someone at a knock down price and then used the money to go on holiday. That's the political equivalent of Thatcherism.
There were 2 million unemployed in 1979, 6 in 1991 if we count everyone not working, and that's the price of Thatcherism. She destroyed communities and threw the post war baby out with the trade union excess bathwater.Thatcher said 'there is no such thing as society' or words to that effect. call me said that she was the best post war peace time prime minister, but my accolades will go to Clement Atlee. The trade unions killed Labour in 1979 with their repeated strikes and the winter of discontent and Thatcher killed them with her laws and fights with Scargill, and the trade union movement got its revenge when the wrong Milliband was elected thanks to union votes. Labour still resists 'one member one vote' . The Falklands did indeed save Thatcher's bacon . I'm not so sure Foot or Kinnock were really electable though!
For what she did to the miners, to communities and the working class , she'll be hated.We have a housing crisis because no housing was built and people got into the mess of debt we are in because they believed in the dream of the property ladder which was simply beyond their means. Our manufacturing base went, and globalization came.

Kinnock said and I'll quote him in full: In 1983
"
If Margaret Thatcher is re-elected as prime minister on Thursday, I warn you.
I warn you that you will have pain–when healing and relief depend upon payment.
I warn you that you will have ignorance–when talents are untended and wits are wasted, when learning is a privilege and not a right.
I warn you that you will have poverty–when pensions slip and benefits are whittled away by a government that won’t pay in an economy that can’t pay.
I warn you that you will be cold–when fuel charges are used as a tax system that the rich don’t notice and the poor can’t afford.
I warn you that you must not expect work–when many cannot spend, more will not be able to earn. When they don’t earn, they don’t spend. When they don’t spend, work dies.
I warn you not to go into the streets alone after dark or into the streets in large crowds of protest in the light.
I warn you that you will be quiet–when the curfew of fear and the gibbet of unemployment make you obedient.
I warn you that you will have defence of a sort–with a risk and at a price that passes all understanding.
I warn you that you will be home-bound–when fares and transport bills kill leisure and lock you up.
I warn you that you will borrow less–when credit, loans, mortgages and easy payments are refused to people on your melting income.
If Margaret Thatcher wins on Thursday–
- I warn you not to be ordinary
- I warn you not to be young
- I warn you not to fall ill
- I warn you not to get old."

How right and prescient he was! But he lost to Thatcher, and the rest, as they say......

After all the hate and effort , all the phone taps and misuse of government apparatus against those Labour party members in the 1980's,I for one, will speak ill of her. The worst , most selfish PM, she replaced community with competition and it'll take decades to get the country of its knees.
GDP in 91 was lower than 79
Her economic policy was very bad for the UK and the roots of our current problems can be directly linked to her voodoo economics and free marketering. The market does not and never has known best.

To all those crying a river of crocodile tears (and there are a lot) and all those looking at her legacy, to all those hypocrites and wannabes, to all those who thought she was 'super' I say to you Foot would have been a good PM and Kinnock an excellent one.Thatcher was mediocre.
All those who think she helped women, I say no, she set them back decades.
Clear leadership ? hindsight will tell you that there are non so blind as those who will not see! Even McMillian spoke out on "selling off the family silver"

So goodbye, Maggie. History won't be kind to you, or your ilk.

Aucun commentaire: